My Labor and Delivery Story

While I was pregnant I would search other women’s L&D story just to know what to expect. Though I know everyone has a different experience and you can’t really go off of ones story, it was fun to read. And to be honest I was freaking out and knew my experience was going to be long and painful – I always expect the worse.

On my 37 week check-up baby was measuring to be over 7 pounds and knowing I was a good 3 weeks away from my due date I figured baby boy was going to be a 10 pound baby and he was going to tear me up LOL! Seeing my concern my doctor suggested being induced right around 39 weeks – though I was initially against being induced because of the high risk of a c-section, we decided to go ahead and schedule it. I was scheduled to go in on December 27th but baby boy had other plans.

Christmas Day 2017:

I woke up feeling pretty tired but good enough to make breakfast and to clean the kitchen – neat freak. Right after breakfast as I was getting ready I noticed a little discharge and from what I gathered from online articles this discharge can happen days to weeks prior to going in to labor – so I was not overly concerned. The day went on with me just lounging around the house and hanging with my parents as they were visiting. The discharge was continuous so around 6 p.m I decided to call the on-call doctor and she suggested that I go to the hospital just to have a look. When we were going in I was confident that I will be sent home since I was not having any contractions but my hubby decided that it would be a good idea to take our hospital bag JUST IN CASE. I checked in to my room around 7:00 p.m and lo and behold I was 4 cm dilated but not feeling any of my contractions!  The team was monitoring my contractions and the baby’s heart rate  and they became concerned that the baby’s heart rate was dropping every time I was having a contraction. They had me lay in different positions to help with the baby’s heart rate, which seemed to help for a bit. Around 10 p.m I was 6 cm and the doctor decided to break my water. My contractions at this time were not bad they just felt like bad cramps but I went ahead and got the epidural before it got any worse. Around midnight when they came to check on me I was still at 6 cm and the baby’s heart rate was still dropping with every contraction. The doctor advised us at this point that we will have to go in for a c-section. I was so upset by this because I really did not want to go this route but it was really affecting the baby and we could not wait any longer. After poking me with what felt like a hundred needles I was wheeled off to the operating room. I was shaking non-stop which was a side effect of the many drugs that were administered in me. I believe I was wheeled in around 1 a.m and I heard baby boys cry around 1:14 a.m. I bawled like a baby when I first heard him and then even more when I first saw him. It was surreal and truly a beautiful moment that will forever be engraved in my memory.

Ayden Shah Khalid


7 lbs 15 ounces

Leave a Reply